I am a PhD student in London focusing on Ancient Greek Military History and offering courses to anyone interested in Ancient Greece from school to university level. I encourage interactive courses with pleasant and constructive discussions over a one sided monologue, but can accommodate any student's requirements. I have taught children of troubled backgrounds in France all the way to enlisted soldiers in Greece, forcing me to always tailor my courses to my student's needs. I Can assist in essay writing, in-depth study of a particular subject, or general interest.
I have studied History for 5 years in three different countries, forcing me to always adapt my methods. I am currently doing PhD research at UCL on Ancient Greek Military History.
I have Taught Contemporary History at the "Collège Jeu de Mail" a secondary school in France for children of often troubled and sometimes violent background. Through my lessons I exposed the students for the first time to foreign, non-French History.
I Coached a secondary school class in their production of "Democracy", a French play on the beginning of the Athenian Democratic system. I endeavored to teach the actors about the social and political realities of the VI century, the better for them to adapt them on stage.
More recently I also established Unofficial "learning nights" at the barrack as well as the refugee camps I helped build during my one year military service in Greece, teaching Ancient History to young men and sometimes officers from all walks of life.
My rates are mainly to cover my travel expenses. I have never requested any remuneration for helping students to learn.
Date of Birth: 19th January, 1993
Place of birth: Meyrin, Switzerland. I lived in Switzerland for 8 years where I was schooled in the French-speaking system.
• 2016-current: PhD research in Ancient Greek Military History at the University of UCL in London under the supervision of Professor Hans van Wees. Title of thesis: "Tactical and Strategic communications in Ancient Greek Warfare".
• 2014-2015: Postgraduate degree (M.A.) in Ancient History at the University of Saint Andrews. Focused on Ancient Greek Military History. Master’s thesis on the comparative study of the military might of the kingdom of Macedon and the city-states. Dissertation on Greek light infantry, its effectiveness and use.
• 2001-2014: Undergraduate degree (B.A.) at the University of Montpellier III in France. Degree in History. Studied Ancient, Medieval, Modern, and Contemporary History.
• 2001-2011: Franco-Hellenic school of Eugène Delacroix in Athens. French Baccalaureate in Literature with Distinction.
• French: Mother tongue. Distinction in the French Baccalauréat Général in 2011 – French Licence (B.A.) in 2014
• Greek: Mother tongue.
• English: Fluent. Michigan Proficiency Degree – Cambridge Proficiency Degree – Master’s Degree at UK based University of Saint Andrews – Currently doing PhD research in London-based institution.
• Spanish: 5 years of study at school – private lessons – 3 years of study at University level – B2 diploma from the Instituto Cervantes.
• June 2016: Volunteer archivist at the Benaki Museum Historical Archives. Put in charge of the organization, classification, and translation from French to English of the Paulos Melas files.
• 2013-2014: Volunteer teaching fellow at the Collège Du Jeu De Mail in Montpellier. Responsible for several courses on the comparative study of French and Greek history during World War II.
• 2011: Distinction in the French Baccalauréat. Granted the “Bourse d’Excellence Major”, or Scholarship for Excellence, for studies in France.
• 2016: Radio Operator for the Hellenic Army. Areas of service: Aulonas base, Lamia base, Litoxoro base. In charge of a team of riflemen during live fire exercises. Rated 5th in marksmanship during specialized training at the Litoxoro base. Volunteer for the construction teams of the refugee camps at Larissa and Litoxoro.
• July 2013: Summer school at the University of Cambridge. Sessions followed: Ancient Empires.
• Summer 2010: Summer school at the University of Oxford. Courses followed: History, Psychology, Theatre.
Sotirios is a gifted person who can efficiently and effortlessly transfer knowledge as well as inspire students. He was awarded a scholarship from France and he completed his Masters degree in St. Andrews University in just a year.
He is a modest person and never brags about his admittedly broad knowledge in his domain.
I recommend him without any reservation. Since his adolence he was able to capture audiences as well as individuals. During his scout years and military service he inspired his teammates and was always voted as the most efficient and popular leader.
history lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest general knowledge lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, sociology lessons for all!
Taking mythology lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$18||$14|
|5 hours||Not available||$54||$72|
|10 hours||Not available||$90||$144|