An experienced teacher in England and Tasmania. I am enthusiastic about teaching students and watching them grow in their educational studies. I try to make my lessons fun and educational at the same time. A relaxed learning environment is important.
I have taught for three decades in Primary and High schools. Students improve and develop a love of learning through a teachers patience, listening, understanding and caring for their learning needs. A happy student is one who learns more easily.
My rate per hour depends on the students age or grade. $35.00 for Primary school aged students and $45,00 for High school students. TCE students in grades 11 and 12 would be negotiable with the parent.
Born 28th November 1956 in Wickersley, England. Became an Australian Citizen, 26th January 2003.
Durham University, Middleton St George College of Education. I gained a Teacher's Certificate in 1978.
Over three decades experience working with children as a teacher in early childhood, primary and secondary schools. Skilled at coaching competitive gymnastics; administering physical education; teaching the playing of recorders, working with teachers as a Special needs/Education Aid in all areas of the curriculum, I was the Play and Communication therapist at Giant Steps Tasmania, I taught English as a Second Language to International Students in Launceston and also with the refugee family I am caring for. I am experienced and qualified dance instructor for all ages. Skilled in art, expertise in lapidary, quilling and leatherwork.
TRB number: 6869
2017- Volunteer Tutoring with LINC Tasmania, Launceston
I am currently a volunteer with LINC tutoring young adults Literacy and Numeracy both within a group setting and as a 1:1 tutor for more specific needs with students. The sessions are of 1-1½ hours duration.
I have successfully completed the TAFE course in relation to adult tutoring on Wednesday 27th September 2017.
2017- I applied successfully for an Australian Business Number (ABN) which has allowed me to tutor privately either in my home or that of the student. This spans all grades from Grade one to grade twelve, mostly in English and Mathematics and those students who have a modified program.
2017 I have a current First Aide Level Two Certificate
2017 TAFE Tasmania, Volunteer Tutor Course over eight weeks
2016- St Johns’ Anglican Church Launceston
Volunteer Historical Group and Educational Tour Guide.
2010-2016 Newstead Christian School
Learning Support Teacher
As the Learning Support Teacher, coordinated the support for, and advised on, the academic programmes of students with special learning needs, assisted teachers on a weekly basis or as requested, and liaised with parents as appropriate.
2007-2012 Worldview Centre for Intercultural Studies
ESL Teaching of Adult students
Taught ESL to overseas students at this university college. I taught conversational English, assisting with more formal English studies as part of the bridging course.
2012 Volunteer Refugee Worker
Migrant Resource Centre
Assisted immigrant refugees to settle into life in Tasmania, taught the family English as a Second Language
2008-temporary Child Carer
The Children’s Playhouse Child Care Centre, Launceston City Mission, Launceston, Tasmania.
Part-time – 3 full days a week.
In charge of rooms for children aged from 4 weeks to 3 years old.
Staff and child supervision, curriculum planning, liaising with staff and parents.
1998 -2006 Teacher
Kindergarten, Sacred Heart Primary School, Launceston, Tasmania
Part-time - 2 full days, 1 half day a week
General classroom teaching, programming and assessment of students, liaising with Special Education personnel, arranging class visits and visitors, attending Parents & Friends’ Association meetings, attending Kindergarten Teachers’ Association seminars, active member of the Early Childhood Educators of Tasmania (ECET) Association, conducting formal morning prayer for staff meetings, etc.
1996 - 1997 Play and Communication Therapist
Giant Steps Tasmania, Deloraine
Policy formation, therapy planning and implementation via individual education programmes, playground planning and development, professional development research for the school.
1991 - 1995 Co-ordinator
After School Child Care Service, University of Tasmania, Launceston
Kindergarten, Tasmanian Education Department, Longford Primary School
Relief Teacher for term four with the Education Department Tasmania. (Relief teaching in Primary schools from 1989 to 1991. Ref: I.D 014983)
1988 - 1989 Director
Gordon Square Child Care Centre, George Town, Tasmania
Tasmanian Education Department: East Devonport Primary School
Devonport, Tasmania. (under the Commonwealth League of Teacher Exchange for twelve months)
1979 - 1984 Teacher
Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, Education Department:
Broom Valley Junior School, Rotherham, England
Support Teacher Role
Whilst in my role of Learning Support Teacher I accomplished the following:
• Created a versatile environment for students to work, meet and relax in.
• Established and implemented a Multilit program within the school: grades 3-10
• Established and implemented an ESL program for the school
• Collaborate with staff to write IEP’s and classroom planning for students.
• Assist with planning for SWD students in the senior school for core subjects. (Students with disabilities)
• Assist teachers in the classroom environment for school to achieve the best practices for their students.
• Written reports for parents.
• Successfully establishing the Northern Tasmania Secondary Schools Readers’ Cup competition in the school.
• Collectively established data for students at risk with learning.
• Established Extension groups within the primary and senior schools.
• Successfully applied for funding for SWD students over several years.
• Established testing on a regular basis for students by Independent Schools Tasmania.
• Assessments for students using the new YARC reading/comprehension test, Letters and Sounds, speech articulation test and CELF4 tests.
• Liaised with other schools and colleagues for advice where necessary.
• Networked with other schools in our area.
• Having been a relief teacher in school, I have the privilege of having taught all students throughout the school within the year on several occasions.????
• Successfully taken part in Jump Rope for Heart several times.
• Established a bank of resources for use with SWD students from K-10
school english lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, creative writing lessons for all!
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$35||Not available|