As a scientist and educator, Professor Hero focuses on biodiversity management, research and threatened species conservation.
My teaching focus has always been on a strong basis of core knowledge of conservation biology, blended with experiential field based practical learning in fundamental ecology to provide students with work-ready skill sets in the field of environmental science.
With over 20 years experience as a University Professor engaged in teaching and field-based research in Ecology & Conservation Biology, and working extensively on scientific research programs in Australia, South America, USA and Asia, I have a wealth of knowledge to share, and a passion for teaching.
I am currently an environmental consultant working for government and private industry, an Adjunct Professor at University of the Sunshine Coast, Qld., and an Honorary Professor at the University of Kent, UK.
Field training is available, however a minimum of 3 hrs is required to engage in a field-based learning activity.
Group training is preferred with the rate reduced depending on the number of students.
As a scientist and educator, Professor Hero has a national and international reputation as a leading amphibian research scientist. He has authored over 160 scientific works including; books, book chapters and refereed journal articles, several of which have received scholarly awards. Over the past 15 years he has supervised 33 Honours students, and 22 postgraduate (PhD and Masters) students.
Professor Hero currently holds positions as:
• Adjunct Professor: University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. 2017-2020.
• Honorary Professor: Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology, School of Anthropology and Conservation, University of Kent, Canterbury, UK 2018-2023.
• Australian Representative: IUCN Amphibian Specialist Group
• Executive Committee Member: World Congress of Herpetology
• Consulting Scientist: Youth + Institute (Edmund Rice Education Australia)
• Director of Hero Ecology: Sustainable Biodiversity Solutions
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|