Having previously worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver and a bilingual kindergarten teacher in Japan, my lessons are catered towards learners of various subjects of all ages.
Lessons are student-driven, meaning that the student has final say over what they are hoping to achieve each session and over a longer period of time, with some guidance from me. I aim to cater my lessons both to what the students " have" to know, but also what they want to know. Initial classes seek to find that balance between what interests a student and what one must know for exams in order to give them not only the most useful information but information that they will remember easily. My philosophy is that if a topic isn't fun, no one will learn anything - so whether ROTE learning is your thing, or "going with the flow" suits your style better, I am sure we can make a program that suits your needs and abilities.
Cancellation needs to be made at least 6 hours before a lesson for the fee to be waived. If no prior warning is given (unless in emergency circumstances), 25% of the total fee will be charged.
I have worked as a teacher or tutor since 2012, working mainly in TESOL, primary school age appropriate curriculum, and university curriculum. Currently, I am a PhD candidate at Murdoch University, studying international security and humanitarian law. I have numerous publications to my name in the field of International Relations and humanities, and I have lectured at international military bases on the topic of security planning.
Key Competencies and Achievements
• International interpersonal communication skills
• Efficient time-management skills
• Excellent self-motivation and reliability
• Professional experience in problem-solving and decision making
• Sets and maintains high work standards
• Excellent small-group and large-group coordination and communication skills
• Able to analyse data, identify trends, and compile reports
• Adapts to changing or high-stress work environments
• Experience in training and teaching positions
• Presented lecture on security at the Canadian Military Training HQ in Kingston, ON
• Received 8 Undergraduate and 3 Graduate Scholarships for academic and professional excellence
• Recently awarded a PhD scholarship (tuition waived)
• Has professional experience in Australia, Japan, US, Taiwan, UK, South Korea and Canada
• The University of British Columbia Graduate Teaching Assistant 09/2016-05/2017
Basic administration, educational support, record keeping, scheduling, lesson planning/curriculum, grading, educational/career advice, internal and external communication, team-building/workshopping, working in a group environment
• Kinder Kids International School Childcare Assistant/Teacher 05/2014-07/2016
Early childhood (3months - 12 years), education, internal and external communication, lesson planning/curriculum, record keeping, basic childcare, bilingual instruction, team-building/workshopping, working in a group environment
• Ritsumeikan University Student Advisor/Orientation Director 04/2014-03/2016
Educational support, internal and external communication, intermediate administration, grants/funding, scheduling, managerial experience, basic PR, advisory, budgeting/logistics, team-building/workshopping, record keeping, working in a group environment
• Ritsumeikan High School Teaching Assistant 01/2016-02/2016
Educational support, internal and external communication, record keeping, team-building/workshopping, research, data analysis, presentational skill-building, working in a group environment, youth work
• Live!Aid Japan Event Planner (Charity) 06/2011-09/2011
Event planning, scheduling, grants/funding, organizational skills, networking, high-level PR, charity, budgeting/logistics, insurance, managerial experience, media, community engagement
Other Relevant Experience
• Camp Kulin Volunteer Camp Counsellor 01/2013-Present
Volunteer work, working in a group environment, childcare, coordinating activities, , team-building/workshopping, support
• Certificate IV in TESOL, Teach International, (Ongoing)
• Certificate IV in Leadership and Management/Business Administration, OpenColleges, (Ongoing)
• PhD Politics and Governance, Murdoch University (Ongoing)
• MA Political Science Candidate, The University of British Columbia, Expected graduation May 2018
• BA International Relations: Global Studies Major, Ritsumeikan University, 2016
• JLPT N3 Certificate, The Japan Educational Exchanges and Services and the Japan Foundation, 2013.
academic tutoring lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|