My teaching method always interactive and child center. It depends on the children's age and understanding. I would like to direct children and provide the opportunity to experiential learning with proper guidance. Before starting the lesson I will try to undersdand the child's level of knowledge of the particular area by asking questions relevant to the lesson and giving some questions to solve. Then supporting, directing, guiding and instructing the child to obtain further acknowledged and understanding.
I worked as a vice principal/ chemistry teacher nearly 8 years in Sri Lanka. I have B.Sc. in Natural science and masters in Chemistry Education in, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka and recently completed my masters in Environment science at UWA. currently, I am providing Maths and science lessons for grade 7 to 10 students and working as a coordinator in an OSHC service of a primary school.
lessons for up to year 8, in my place, can be offered for $30 per hour. Emergency cancellation will be informed 24 hours prior to the lesson and the students also need to inform the same way, if any cancellation
• M.Sc. in Environment Science -The University of Western Australia, Nov. -2018
• M Sc in Chemistry Education – University of Colombo 2014 - 2017
• Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) – The Open University of Sri Lanka 2011 - 2014
• Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)- University of Colombo, Sri Lanka 1994 - 1997
Professional experiences ;
•Out of School Care Coordinator (ongoing) - from Apr 2017 to date
•Vice Principal / Chemistry Teacher -Learnium International School, 941/8 A Morris Rajapaksha Mawatha, Etul Kotte, Sri Lanka, Nov.2009-Nov 2016
• Science / Maths Teacher, Royal Institute, Chapel Lane, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka, September 2009 - November 2009
• Teacher (Primary school). Vidura College , Kirimandala Mawatha, Nawala, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka, May 2008 – September 2009
• The project "Low-cost environment-friendly mosquito repellents from herbal plant 'Maduruthala' available in Sri Lanka" designed and supervised by me won the Silver Medal at the 8th International Environmental Project Olympiad Euro-Asia held in Baku, Azerbaijan in 2014 (under the category of Environment Chemistry).
• The project " Removal of heavy metal ions in water using natural, Eco-Friendly materials available in Sri Lanka" designed and supervised by me won the Bronze Medal at the 20th International Environmental Project Olympiad held in Istanbul, Turkey in 2012 (under the category of Environment Chemistry
• The project "Preparation of low-cost pesticide spray for use in home gardens from the herbal Tree ‘Kohomba’ (Neem)" designed and supervised by me was selected and exhibited at the International Science Olympiad held in Istanbul, Turkey in 2010.
• Recycling and Reduction of waste – A study guide for schools, This Gide book was prepared as part of the Thesis submitted to the Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science –Authors Dr.M.N. Kaumal, (Senior Lecturer, Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo) and A.M.U.Shamalee – ISBN no: (concealed information)
• Training on GCE Chemistry – “Improving your delivery” conducted by Isabel Sutcliffe, Regulation, Standards & Research Director, Edexcel Ltd, December 2012
• Stage 2 Intermediate professional development Course in Cambridge O Level Biology conducted by Ann Puntis, Chief Executive, Cambridge International Examinations, September 2012
• Training on IGCSE Human Biology – “Achieving Success through Feedback” conducted by Isabel Sutcliffe, Regulation, Standards & Research Director, Edexcel Ltd, September 2011
• Training on IGCSE Chemistry - “Achieving Success through Feedback” conducted by Isabel Sutcliffe, Regulation, Standards & Research Director, Edexcel Ltd, February 2011
• Teacher Training Seminar conducted by Suhail Aziz from Pakistan and Enes Kurtay Chio from Turkey, December 2010
• Workshop on “Teaching Scientific Enquiry and Assessing to Aid progress – Teaching ideas for secondary science” conducted by Lawrie Ryan and organized by Nelson Thornes, UK, February 2010
My daughter was struggling with Mathematics and Science. Shama took her under her wing, started with the basics and gradually progressed to more advanced topics. My daughter no longer hates these subjects all thanks to Shama’s individual attention. Thank you Shama !!
chemistry lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
|at their place||at your place||by webcam|