‘Chemistry is everything, and everything is Chemistry’ which is what makes the subject extraordinary. As a tutor of Science/Chemistry/Biology, I aim to impart knowledge with practical examples and to communicate Science in the most fundamental form so that students don’t merely learn for grades, but also develop a passion to build a career in the subject.
Three years of experience as a Chemistry University Teacher at The University of Melbourne. Laboratory demonstrator and exam evaluator at The University of Melbourne. Anti-AIDS/cancer drug researcher at The University as part of my PhD course. PhD thesis submitted and awaiting approval.
EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
PhD - (Chemistry)
University of Melbourne, Australia, Oct 2014 till date
Thesis- Synthesis of inhibitors and probes for the mechanistic studies of diverse glycosidases
MSc - (Masters in Chemistry)
National Institute of Technology, Karnataka, 2012-14
BSc - (Bachelor of Science – Zoology, Chemistry, Microbiology)
St. Agnes (Autonomous) College, Mangalore, 2009-12
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Lab Demonstrator and Exam Marker
University of Melbourne, Australia, Feb 2016 - June 2017
University Malaysia Pahang, Malaysia, May - July 2013
Project- Novel materials for aligning nanoscale flexible displays: a new approach
National Institute of Technology Karnataka, India, Jan - May 2014
Project- New cyanopyridine derivatives: synthesis and photophysical properties
• Alonso-Gil, S.; Males, A.; Fernandes, P. Z.; Williams, S. J.; Davies, G. J.; Rovira, C: Computational Design of Experiment Unveils the Conformational Reaction Coordinate of GH125 α-Mannosidases. Journal of the American Chemical Society 2017, 139, 1085-1088.
• Petricevic, M.; Sobala, L. F.; Fernandes, P. Z.; Raich, L.; Thompson, A. J.; Bernardo-Seisdedos, G.; Millet, O.; Zhu, S.; Sollogoub, M.; Jiménez-Barbero, J.; Rovira, C.; Davies, G. J.; Williams, S. J: Contribution of Shape and Charge to the Inhibition of a Family GH99 endo-α-1,2-Mannanase. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2017, 139, 1089-1097.
• Mei, G. S.; Fernandes, P. Z.; Aralapura, Y.; Rahman, M. L.; Hegde, G: Polarity dependent photoisomerization of ether substituted azodyes: Synthesis and photoswitching behaviour. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 2015, 149, 875-880.
• Hegde, G.; Fernandes, P. Z.; Aralapura, Y.; Yusoff, M. M: Light Sensitive Molecule for Photonic Devices. Macromolecular Symposia 2015, 353, 115-120.
• Melbourne International Research Scholarship and Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarship, Oct 2014- Oct 17
• Norma Hilda Schuster Scholarship, May 2017
• G.I. Feutrill Award, Nov 2016
• Science Abroad Travelling Scholarship, June 2016
• Gold Medalist, M.Sc. Chemistry, 2012-14
• Academic excellence Mangalore Diocese, 2013
• First Rank, B.Sc. 2009-12
• Student Topper Award, 2011-12 (felicitated by the Agnesian Alumni)
• Best Life Science Student Award, 2011-12
• Best All Round Runner-up Student, Science, 2011-12 (Dr. Mohan Zutshi U.K. Award)
• Principal’s Roll of Honor with General Proficiency– Semester I to VI, BSc. 2009-12
• Top 1% in English proficiency, 2007-08
• 100% in Mathematics at the All India Secondary School Examination, 2007
• Outstanding academic performance awards, 2004 and 2007
• Gold Award – NIIT Global Technology, 2003
• Working With Children Check, 2018
• Online Induction for Sessional Teachers, University of Melbourne, 2016
• Melbourne Teaching Certificate, University of Melbourne, 2015
• Presented published research at RACI Centenary Congress, Melbourne, July 2017
• Presented research work at International Carbohydrate Symposium, ICS’16, New Orleans
• Presented research work at the Annual Synthesis Symposia 2015 & 2016, Bio21 Molecular Science & Biotechnology Institute, Melbourne
• Organised ‘ICRAMST’– Recent Advances in Material Science and Technology, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, India, 2013
• Organised ‘Uthkhanan – discovering Chemistry beyond imagination’, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, India, 2013
• Participated in ‘Applications of Bioinformatics Tools in Genomics and Proteomics’, AIMIT, St. Aloysius College, India, 2012
• Participated and bagged prizes in ‘Imprints’ – science fest and exhibition, St. Aloysius College, India, 2011 & 2012.
• Organised ‘Chem Fiesta’ – chemistry exhibition, St. Agnes College, India, 2011
• Conducted ‘Rasa-Chethana – Symposium on Chemistry Education’, St. Agnes College, India, 2011
• Participated and bagged prices in ‘Analyst’ – chemistry fest, St. Aloysious College, India, 2011
• Participated in ‘Green Chemistry – for a better world’, St. Agnes College, India, 2010
• Participated and bagged prizes in ‘Microbiology and Vermitechnology for Biodiversity’, St. Aloysius College, India, 2010
• Participated in ‘Resource Based Learning’ Workshop, Indian High School, Dubai, 2004-06
• Secretary, Chem Splash – An Association of Chemists, National Institute of Technology Karnataka, India, 2014
• M.C., choir and event organiser, Mangalore Music and Cultural Association (MMCA), India, 2014
• Nightingale award, MMCA, 2013
• Secretary, Microbiology and AIDS Awareness Club, St. Agnes College, India, 2011-12
• Little Sisters of the Poor Volunteers Association, Bajjodi, Mangalore, India, 2010-14
• Melody Makers Club, certified in Western Vocals (grade 1- 4) and Instrumental Keyboard (grade 1- 3) by the Trinity College London, Dubai, 2005-07
Languages known: English, French, Hindi, Konkani, Arabic
chemistry lessons closeby? Here's a selection of tutor listings that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest organic chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, biochemistry lessons for all!
Taking electrochemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$35||$35||Not available|
|5 hours||$175||$175||Not available|
|10 hours||$350||$350||Not available|